CSC has comissioned a new server, download.iitd.ac.in, to facilitate research downloads through non-standard ports. Internet services can be accessed on all ports from this machine and all accesses and downloads will be logged. Users can request for access to this service by sending an email to email@example.com. Requests from students and contract staff should be forwrded by their supervisors.
- The server has Firefox installed and has about 200GB of temporary storage in /var/misc. Please delete any temporary files that you may download in to this area as soon as you copy them elsewhere. Use ssh -Y download.iitd.ac.in to enable X forwarding.
- Alternatively, you can use ssh tunnel through this machine to download directly on your desktop/laptop. Please do a Google search on ``ssh tunnel'' for a howto/tutorial. Here are some basic commands to set up ssh tunnels.
- ssh -L 7777:www.google.com:80 download.iitd.ac.in -N will map localhost:7777 to www.google.com:80. Pointing your browser to http://localhost:7777 will redirect to www.google.com.
- ssh -L 7778:cli.globusonline.org:22 download.iitd.ac.in -N will map localhost:7778 to cli.globusonline.org:22. The command ssh localhost -p 7778 from another terminal will take you to the ssh port of cli.globusonline.org.
- You can set up tunnels to any port using similar commands.