- To access mail the users can use their favourite email client (Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, Apple mail, pine,...) running on their desktops or use the Webmail available through the IITD main page.
- The Webmail is pretty much zero configuration. Users can just point their favourite browsers at it and shoot. The users will just need to set their email addresses correctly in Options->Personal information. They will also need to install the IITD CA certificate in their browsers. Please see the certificates section for details. From September 2011, CSC also supports Roundcube webmail.
- In their favourite email clients the users will need to set mailstore.iitd.ernet.in as their IMAP server (incoming) and smtp.iitd.ernet.in as their SMTP server (outgoing). They will need to set IMAP to use port 993 (SSL) and enable authentication for outgoing mails (SMTP) over TLS (either starttls over port 25, or SSL/TLS over port 465). Screenshots for some popular mail clients are given below. Outgoing mails will require authentication. Also, the users will need to set their email addresses correctly.
Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook,
- For configuring Apple mail on Mac OS X (Lion), IPhone or IPad, please see here.
- Use of SSL/TLS services and https pages will require the users to install the IITD CA-certificate in their clients. Please see the certificates section for details.
- The same settings (on laptops) will enable users to access IITD mail from outside campus also using their favourite mail clients.
- Pine users can run Pine/Alpine from their own desktops, or can ssh to ssh1.iitd.ernet.in and run Pine/Alpine. Please note that telnet, which requires transmission of passwds in clear text over unsecured channels, is being discontinued. ssh client is available by default on all Linux and Mac clients. Windows users can download and install a popular ssh client called Putty.
- Pine/Alpine users will need to download the example .pinerc and install the file in their home folders after suitable editing. At the very least, users will need to edit the following entries:
- The home directories of all users of old ccmail07 will be available on the new server ssh1.iitd.ernet.in
- ftp server will not be available on ssh1.iitd.ernet.in, please use scp instead. The command syntax is ``scp firstname.lastname@example.org:/path/sourcefile email@example.com:/path/destinationfile'' or ``scp /path/sourcefile firstname.lastname@example.org:/path/destinationfile'' or ``scp email@example.com:/path/file /path/destinationfile''. Windows users can download Pscp or WinScp which are GUI based.
- The Webmail front-end continues to be the same as before and your addressbook will be migrated to the new set up. However, the preferences may have to be set again.
- Please see the sections on mail forwarding and spam and virus control for details on these.
- Please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to report any problems. Please cut-and-paste the complete error message to help us debug the problem effectively.